Body work has started

The body work on the Cobra has started. We have cut the doors, trunk and hood to fit and made sure they are all lined up properly. Then I ground off all the seams that were created in the fiberglass mold.

That’s all that will happen until January when we lay down some rage gold and block out the car.

WP_20141214_10_23_11_Pro

WP_20141214_10_23_18_Pro

WP_20141214_10_23_36_Pro

WP_20141214_10_23_49_Pro

WP_20141214_10_23_56_Pro

Advertisements

Fall update

I have been really busy lately so have not had much time to devote to the car. I was planning on getting it painted in Sept/Oct but i ended up delaying the paint until Jan/Feb now with a different painter. This will give me time to finish up a few things I didnt get to before the body went on.

I have about 200 km on the car now, not a tonne but enough to shake it down a bit. Not many changes need to be made but I do have the ride height too low so need to raise the front at least a half inch. I learned this when i went over a bump and the tire hit the wheel well. I am sure glad i learned this before paint because it made a bit of a mess of the lip on the body.

I am now starting to take apart for paint. The process for painting has changed after switching to a different painter. He is going to spend a weekend in Nov at my house, trimming the doors, hood, trunk etc so they are properly fit and gapped. Then I will remove all the chrome, remove the body and ship him the body off the car. This is going to be a much cleaner approach rather than blocking it on the car. It also allows me to finish up some mechanical items.

So probably not much going on for the next month or so.

Vin, Inspection and …

… License plate!!!!

Yup, you got it. The cobra is on the road. It is still in gel coat but on Friday I took it through all the hoops to get it insured.

Since it was the first time on the road, I had Dana follow me in his car. This gave me some peace of mind since we really didn’t know how it would perform, or if there would be issues.

The first step on friday was to get the temporary plate. Then, we drove around the neighborhood for 4km which allowed me to calibrate the speedometer. Then off to Canadian Tire for the Out of Province inspection and VIN attachment.

The car passed inspection, the vin was attached and we were off the next stop, the auto plan agent. There they inspected the vin, registered the car and assigned a license plate.

From there, we went to the weigh scale near elk lake to get the official weight. 2200 lbs exactly.

Today I went for the first cruise with another cobra and we drove around the waterfront, stopped for coffee and had a great time.

The car now has 125 km on it, and so far it has worked flawlessly. I am pretty impressed with it.

It is about as expected to drive. Loud, bumpy, smelly, hot, head turning awesome!

My box is empty! Time to drive!

The painter needed a couple more weeks before he could take the car so I applied for a VIN last week with ICBC. I thought the process was going to be long and complicated. I visited the insurance company and found the broker was a car guy, and knew exactly what to do. We got everything filed and I though we were on the way.

Turns out I was missing a Customs form…and thought oh no, here we go….missing forms, paper work etc. One email and 4 hours later I had the form, got it to ICBC and they confirmed everything was in order. The VIN was approved a couple days later and is ready for me.

So now I have an appointment on Friday for the Out of Province Inspection and if everything checks out, they will affix the VIN to the car. Once that is done, it can be registered and plated. To be able to get to the inspection, I have arranged a day permit insurance, so I can get there, then back to the insurance broker so he can do his part. Its a bit strange but the insurance guy has to view the car with the VIN installed before registering.

So this weekend I spent working on getting everything done that is necessary to pass the inspection. It was a busy weekend installing chrome parts to the body and finishing up things. This included the gas filler assembly, wipers, doors, licence plate and wiring, bumpers, hood latches, mirrors, trunk light which is on a cool little tilt switch so it goes on automatically and other misc items.

One thing I was unsure of was if I needed labels for all the switches so my kids got out the label maker and did up some temporary labels.

Aligning the doors and getting the door latches installed was one of those tasks that sounds easy, but took many hours to get correct.

The other task that was a bit tricky was to get the wipers drilled in the body, the mechanisms fabricated and lined up, and getting the whole thing working. Dana helped me with this which was great because it was starting to frustrate me. I had them close but they were not working fluidly. We got it all sorted out and with my son as the artificial rain maker, got them working perfect. They even park nicely.

After the weekend, my parts box is basically empty. It was a pretty good feeling, a stand and stare at the car and drink a beer good feeling. (Like the gas monkeys say “Blood Sweat and Beers!” I did all three this weekend.)

So here are a few pictures of things installed this week. The car looks fantastic, and I cant wait to drive it on Friday.

IMGP2143

IMGP2144

IMGP2134

IMGP2137

IMGP2139

IMGP2140

First gel coat drive

I have gotten the side pipes installed, and most of the other external parts that are all on for test fitting, so I decided to take the car for a quick spin. The fan belt is loose so you hear that when I start the car, but otherwise all systems are up and running.