car walk around

Shot at the 2015 Seaside cruisers car show in Qualicum Beach.

Advertisements

Grade 7 sewing pays off

So how awesome is this!?! I had some left over leather from the dash so I decided to make a nice shifter boot for the gear shift. The one that comes with the car is rubber, and although more period correct, it was ugly.

I tasked my 13 year old son to build this. He had to make a paper template with the correct sizes and angles, trace and cut out the fabric, pin and sew them together. He started with four oversize panels, marked them up, sewed them one at a time, turned it right side out and tada! That grade seven sewing class, and some math also, really helped out!

He did an awesome job and now I have a perfect black leather shifter boot that matches the dash and glove box.

Cutting the four panels

Cutting the four panels

Sewing the shifter

Sewing the shifter

New Shifter boot (before trimming the ring)

New Shifter boot (before trimming the ring)

Mounted the body

Tony and I mounted the body yesterday to do some test fitting. Looks great. There are a few issues that need working through. The biggest issue is the chrome exhaust side pipes dont line up with the body cutouts. Not sure yet how to fix that, but working on it. The headers look to be about 2 inches too high. Also I think the dash is mounted too high. The speedo is just about touching the body so we are going to remove the body and see if we can move it down a half inch.

Everything else seems to fit including the wheels, which i was worried about.

Body test mount

Body test mount

Body test mount

Body test mount

Electrical comes to a completion

We have been working on the electrical since January and have now completed it. I want to thank Dana and Mo for all the assistance. They spent way more hours than we planned, and have done a fantastic job on the wiring. I know it is done right, it is safe, and it will last.

"You cut it twice and its still too short!!!"

“You cut it twice and its still too short!!!”

My Pit Crew

My Pit Crew

We ran into some hiccups along the way, but nothing these guys could not build around to fix. I don’t know much about electronics, but have learned a tonne from this process. It was quite amazing to watch and listen to them talk about what was actually happening from an electrical perspective. It just goes to show you that with the right knowledge and tools anything can be accomplished.

The last item we needed to finish was the tach. We were getting a tonne of noise off the coil. The tach was really jumpy and not accurate. We tried several things at first to diagnose the issue. Then a bit of trouble shooting like using shielded, grounded wire, shielding the tach etc but nothing was helping. After some research, Dana came up with a diagram for a passive filter with resistors etc that would clean the data going to the tach. Mo built it and that removed all the noise from the wire when we tested it. We dropped it in the car last night just behind the tach. This worked perfect and the tach now is showing a perfect reading.

Custom Tach filter

Custom Tach filter

Nice and clean wiring

Nice and clean wiring

So after many hours planning, building, very little trouble shooting and several custom built parts such as the tack filter we are done with electrical. If feels great!

Thanks again to both of you. It was fun, I learned a lot, and the project is better because of your involvement.