A few pics of the car as it is now

The last couple weeks we have been working on the wiring, so not a tonne of exciting pictures. I have done a few other things along the way.

Painting panels – I was waiting for it to warm up a bit before painting most of the rear panels. The last couple days was a bit warmer so I covered some of the trunk panels, which are now needed for the electrical to be finished up, and the rest of the foot box panels. For lack of a better place to put the high beam switch, I am going to build a dead pedal in the driver footbox and mount a floor based high beam and see if that works. Its pretty tight down there but we have other options if that does not work out.

Before Painting

Before Painting


Covered with rubber coating

Covered with rubber coating

I also got the Holley four barrel carb installed and the linkages sorted out. I am working on trying to find radiator hoses that fit, easier said than done! I also just got the MSD rev limiter so will get that wired up soon.

I pushed it outside yesterday so i could clean the garage, which was a disaster. This is what the car looks like as of Jan 25th.

IMGP1401

IMGP1402

IMGP1405

IMGP1408

Electrical – Part one

The electrical components of the car are coming along amazingly. I have the two guys helping me, electrical engineers/geniuses with lots of experience and all the necessary tools. Watching them work is a huge learning experience. This would have taken me months on my own, so I am really glad they offered to help.

Where to start, there is so much…

Harness – I ordered the Ron Francis wiring harness with the car. I thought (being new and all) that it would be a simple plug and play install, until I opened the box and found that was not the case. The gauges did not tie in, there were things I wanted to change etc.

Ron Francis harness

Ron Francis harness

The first change was that we wanted to have some computer control over some of the switches. As an example, we installed a momentary toggle for the turn signals. This is great, but needs some software to actually run it.

The answer to this, since we are computer guys in our real jobs, was to build our own. Dana fired up the old pbasic code and we developed a few routines that accomplished what we wanted. We then downloaded to a small stamp controller and Mo wired it all up in a water tight box to go in the trunk.

Cobra Brains

Cobra Brains

The second box constructed was for the battery cut off, 300 amp master fuse, and some extra power for things in the trunk such as courtesy light when trunk opens etc

Battery Box

Battery Box

These two boxes work in tandem, and required two new harnesses to run to the fuse box and dash. We included 8 extra wires, just in case…

Completed Boxes

Completed Boxes

From there, it was time to wire up the engine compartment, which is 90% complete. This included getting all the engine components in place including solenoid, starter, coil, diff, speedo assembly, oil pressure, water temperature, fan switch with a fan override switch etc. There are a few things to tidy up but for the most part its done and all the wires are connected and loomed.

The dash and the gauges are next. We wired the clutch safety switch to the T5 neutral switch. The gauges are all installed and will get wired in the coming week. The dash is all covered now, the console is built and switches are in, but not covered yet.

Dash and gauges installed

Dash and gauges installed

(and not the steering wheel is not blue, its covered in tape so it does not get scratched)

It does not sound like a ton, but getting all this figured out and in place was a huge task and the guys help has been invaluable. More to come on electrical once we get the dash wired up.

I am starting to get excited that this thing will actually get to be fired up. I didn’t think we would fire it till the summer, but now I am thinking March or April. I still have to do the fuel and water plumbing and have not sourced any of the lines yet. I don’t like the ones that come from factory five so I am going to find new ones for heater and radiator. I have ordered some chrome Holley parts for the carb which should be here this week. Then I will figure out fuel lines etc.

Built a center console

Here is a pic of the center console I built over the holiday. I was going to put in a large video screen style stereo, but now that the console is built, I think it will be way too big in there, so probably will go with the standard stereo.

This console will be covered in leather the same as the dash. It will be screwed in, so the face will be easily removable for servicing.

There will also be several toggle switches on this console near the bottom. These will include:
-Fan override and led indicator
-Hazard light
-Interior lights
-Wipers
-High beams
-usb charger

console

console