I spent the weekend on and off in the garage when I had time. Here is a summary of the things I got accomplished over the Christmas break. Its actually starting to look like a car! Accelerator Cable- modified the … Continue reading →
Finally got all the new stainless steel brake lines bent, mounted, tightened up. I had a few challenges. First I over torqued one of the banjo bolts. Not sure why, but the torque wrench didn’t click, so I kept tightening. I ended up squishing the cooper crush washer. I found a replacement at Lordco, installed it, tightened it up and that did the trick.
To bleed the brakes, I connected four clear hoses to each of the calipers, with the ends in jars with a bit of fluid in them. I opened them all up and thought I would see if gravity would allow the liquid to come through. I filled the system with brake fluid and in about 10 minutes, I had fluid to all four calipers. I also had a couple leaks, but I tightened those up, closed all the bleed screws and had Brennan help with the bleeding process. I taught him all about the how and why of brakes, bleeding them and how they work in general.
This morning there were no puddles on the ground, and I have a solid pedal pressure. I will probably bleed them a bit more closer to go carting, but for now, unless a leak appears, I am moving on. I really wanted the brakes done prior to installing the engine, which will hopefully be this weekend. I also got the passenger foot box all permanently installed.
I am glad I went with the Stainless Steel over the stock steel lines, they look a thousand times better.
This past weekend the car build has hit a major milestone. I picked up the wheels last week from Point Roberts, then drove down to Bellingham to Discount Tire to have the tires mounted. The exact same tires from Discount … Continue reading →
The Gas Monkeys have a motto, “Blood, Sweat and Beers”. So we sort of adopted the saying, but there was very little blood today, and we were cold, so no sweat, but there was cold beer! After several hours of working on various parts, Tony and I decided it was time we got some snacks. A quick trip to the grocery store, instead of the usual car parts store and here is what we came up with.
This is how we roll
Even with the odd beer, and some good chow, we actually did accomplish a tonne today. We got the wiring harness installed, which I thought would be a 10 minute job and turned out to take a couple hours. We had to fabricate some panel holes for the wires, install the fuse panel, route the lines twice since we changed our mind on where they should go, install the ground and install a fuel inertial cut off switch.
Tony got the fuel pump installed and plumbed up. It is a Holley external electric pump, and needed to be mounted as low as possible, as close to the tank. We decided to mount it on the rear 4″ tube. I still need to fabricate a stainless steel hard line to run to the engine.
Paul and I got most of the new stainless steel brake lines installed and hooked up. The stainless looks great, much better than the steel that I had from the kit.
We also spent quite a bit of time planning, discussing and pondering how to set up the dial and switches on the dash. We did not cut out the dash yet, still not 100% convinced on how it will go. We are planning on wiring the dash next weekend so I need to make some decisions on that this week.
Still waiting on the wheels. The said first week of December to ship, so hopefully they get sent this week.
With the long weekend, the help of Tony (thanks) and a marathon build session, we got a tonne done this weekend. Pedals and Master Cylinders We are using the Wilwood pedal box. It includes the brake and clutch pedals along … Continue reading →