My box is empty! Time to drive!

The painter needed a couple more weeks before he could take the car so I applied for a VIN last week with ICBC. I thought the process was going to be long and complicated. I visited the insurance company and found the broker was a car guy, and knew exactly what to do. We got everything filed and I though we were on the way.

Turns out I was missing a Customs form…and thought oh no, here we go….missing forms, paper work etc. One email and 4 hours later I had the form, got it to ICBC and they confirmed everything was in order. The VIN was approved a couple days later and is ready for me.

So now I have an appointment on Friday for the Out of Province Inspection and if everything checks out, they will affix the VIN to the car. Once that is done, it can be registered and plated. To be able to get to the inspection, I have arranged a day permit insurance, so I can get there, then back to the insurance broker so he can do his part. Its a bit strange but the insurance guy has to view the car with the VIN installed before registering.

So this weekend I spent working on getting everything done that is necessary to pass the inspection. It was a busy weekend installing chrome parts to the body and finishing up things. This included the gas filler assembly, wipers, doors, licence plate and wiring, bumpers, hood latches, mirrors, trunk light which is on a cool little tilt switch so it goes on automatically and other misc items.

One thing I was unsure of was if I needed labels for all the switches so my kids got out the label maker and did up some temporary labels.

Aligning the doors and getting the door latches installed was one of those tasks that sounds easy, but took many hours to get correct.

The other task that was a bit tricky was to get the wipers drilled in the body, the mechanisms fabricated and lined up, and getting the whole thing working. Dana helped me with this which was great because it was starting to frustrate me. I had them close but they were not working fluidly. We got it all sorted out and with my son as the artificial rain maker, got them working perfect. They even park nicely.

After the weekend, my parts box is basically empty. It was a pretty good feeling, a stand and stare at the car and drink a beer good feeling. (Like the gas monkeys say “Blood Sweat and Beers!” I did all three this weekend.)

So here are a few pictures of things installed this week. The car looks fantastic, and I cant wait to drive it on Friday.