Engine is almost ready to start

I have been chipping away at all the small details over the last couple weeks. Lots of small things that add to the overall progress, but sometimes I spend hours in the garage, then come inside and wonder what I really did all day out there.

Here are a few of the smaller things, all important, all necessary:

Dash wiring – we continue with electrical, 90% of the way there I think. It looks like stuff is everywhere, but in reality, it is very orderly.

Dash Wiring

Dash Wiring

We connected the Optima Red top battery this week, which was a huge milestone. (no smoke!!!! – not that I expected any, I have two geniuses helping me). Also test fit the roll bars…they look great!

Battery and components

Battery and components

With the battery connected, we started working through the components, testing each one. Although hard to see, here is a pic of the dash at night. The lights on the dash look fantastic.

Dash lights

Dash lights

So wiring continues…

The engine compartment is pretty much ready to go. I had trouble with the carburetor so needed to take it apart and change out the base plate. This went smoothly (I think) and the entire carburetor is installed, and the linkages are in place. I have not connected the accelerator pedal yet, but the rest is in place.

New baseplate

New baseplate

Carb installed

Carb installed

The fuel rail is installed but I still need to connect to the fuel pump. I have the stainless steel parts, just need to get to it. This is the only thing left before a first start.

Some other parts include cooling parts:

Cooling and overflow

Cooling and overflow

Radiator installed. I added a steel bar to the bottom of the radiator. Without this, the cobra is designed to connect the radiator to the fiberglass body, which is a pain. This way, it is fully supported without the body.

Radiator

Radiator

I also added the oil to the engine today, a big step to completion.

Adding first oil and filter

Adding first oil and filter

I dropped the fuel tank today also. I did this for two reasons, the first was to make room to tap a 1/4″ hole in each corner so I could add a few grounding points for the tail lights, and also to add a custom bumper bolt system that I fabricated based on research and other builders experience. Without this bolt system, each time you put on or take off the body, you need to drop the fuel tank. This way, hopefully I will avoid this by changing how the bolting system works. This mod allows me to bolt into the female adapters with threaded rods so the bolts dont need to come out each time.

Rear Bumper modification

Rear Bumper modification

So lots of progress, there are lots of other little things, horns installed, more panels painted, working on the seat bolts etc etc, but more on all that next time.

Here is a shot of the engine compartment. A few housekeeping things still like wiring the MSD box, clamping the ignition wires and looms down etc but 90% of the way there.

Engine overview

Engine overview

Engine overview

Engine overview

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s