Today was another massive milestone. The engine is now installed in the car.
Let me start by saying a huge thanks to Art and Rob for the use of the hoist, and their time and knowledge today.
Before installing the engine I got a few things buttoned up in the engine compartment including wiring and panels.
First step to installing the engine after getting the hoist all set up was to install the engine mounts. I used Energy Suspension mounts and tranny mounts.
We hoisted the engine and started to install it. I had lots of help today, Tony, Art, Rob, Paul and my kids Brennan and Aaron,. We eased the engine in by moving the car forward as we dropped the engine and transmission into place. The extra hands helped. One person to work the hoist, one to guide the transmission into the tunnel, one to steer the car as we moved it forward (my nine year old did this), one to push the car forward, one to navigate. It went in really well, simple and easy with no drama.
My two kids, who are becoming expert Cobra builders, are also a big help. Not many kids can write a What did I do on my Christmas Break assignment that details how to install a cobra engine!
It only took an hour to get the engine in, but it took use a few hours to get the mounts on and lined up properly and the transmission mounts connected.
It is all done, torqued and ready to move onto the next steps of connecting things, including the exhaust headers and pipes, starter, carb, rad, solinoid etc etc.
It was a great day, a huge milestone that brings us to the next chapter in the Cobra build. Hooking up and getting to start the engine for the first time. The other project on the go right now is the wiring, which is coming along and is pretty exciting, but I will write more on that soon.